That is why the U.S. Department of Education is excited to announce the first of our Equity Summit Series. This first installment will take place virtually on June 22, 2021. This summit will feature panel discussions focused on best practices for building an equitable environment in our schools, and remarks from individuals who are working to make those equitable schools a reality.
The first installment of the Equity Summit Series will feature:
- U.S. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona
- U.S. Deputy Secretary of Education Cindy Marten
- Pedro Noguera, Dean, USC Rossier School of Education
- Baruti Kafele, former principal from Newark, NJ
- Alberto Carvalho, Superintendent, Miami-Dade County Public Schools
- Rosemarie Eller, Board President, White Plains Public Schools
- Melito Ramirez, Intervention Specialist, Walla Walla High School, Walla Walla, WA and 2021 RISE Award Winner
- Olivia Carter, School Counselor, Jefferson Elementary School, Cape Girardeau, MO and 2021 School Counselor of the Year
- Alejandro Diasgranados, Fourth- and Fifth-Grade Teacher, Aiton Elementary School and 2021 Washington, D.C. Teacher of the Year
Additional details will be announced soon.